- First Presbyterian Church of Dover
- First Presbyterian Church (“Hilltop Church”) of Mendham
- General Commission on Archives and History of the United Methodist Church
- Jewish Historical Society of Metrowest
- St Mary’s Abbey / Delbarton Archives
- Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth
51 West Blackwell Street
Dover, NJ 07801
This historical collection comprises 1 1/2 cubic feet of records pertaining to churches and voluntary associations, plus photographs, oral history tapes, and a miscellany of other materials, some in microform. Materials relate mostly to Morris County, principally Dover, seventeenth through twentieth centuries. It is open to researchers by appointment with the church historian.
The First Presbyterian Congregation, established in 1738 by Ebenezer Byram, proprietor of the Black Horse Inn in Mendham, maintains a church library at “Hilltop House” near the church. The collection includes: Session and trustee records from the 1700s; an exhaustive history of the congregation; three centuries of marriage, baptismal, and membership listings; biographical information and published writings of many of the church’s pastors, artifacts, tombstone inscriptions, periodicals, photographs, and the singular collection of information about the Second Presbyterian Church of Mendham, an abolitionist congregation that broke off from the First Presbyterian Church in 1860.
The collection is regularly accessible between 9 – 3 p.m. weekdays (9 – 12 Noon, summer). Special arrangements can be made by telephone.
The General Commission on Archives and History manages the central archives for the United Methodist Church. The Commission’s purpose is to gather and preserve the history of the United Methodist Church and its antecedents. Its approximately 12,000 cubic feet of material includes records from many agencies of the United Methodist Church and its predecessors. Such records include missionary correspondence and photographs from around the world; also documents relating to administrative and financial matters, architectural history, and social concerns (such as education and health). The collection includes correspondence, reports, journals, diaries, minutes, audio-visuals, and artifacts relating to the history of United Methodism. The bulk of the collection covers a period from the 1880s until the present, although there are some records as early as the 1840s. Besides the denomination’s records, many personal papers have been donated to the Archives. An introductory guide to the collection is available from the Commission.
Holdings include 320 cubic feet of materials relating to the history and culture of the Jewish community in northern New Jersey. Records include correspondence, minutes, engineering drawings, bulletins, newspapers, newsletters, brochures, posters, maps, microfilm, photographs, negatives, slides, movie reels, video tapes, audio tapes, ephemera, scrap books, audits, ledgers, pamphlets, books, and phonograph records.
Saint Mary’s Abbey / Delbarton Archives
The collection includes about 100 linear feet documents and photographs relative to the establishment of a monastery of Benedictine monks in Newark, New Jersey in the nineteenth century, its expansion to the Luther Kountze Estate at Delbarton in Morris Township, and the establishment of the Delbarton School. Materials are available by appointment.
The archives contain 550 linear feet of records relating to a congregation of Catholic women, the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, established in Newark, New Jersey, in 1859 by Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley (first Bishop of Newark and nephew of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, foundress of the Sisters of Charity in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in 1809) and Mother Xavier Mehegan. The records include those of the congregation, its governing body, and various administrative entities and charitable institutions. Personal papers and collections include diaries, scrapbooks, and oral history tapes documenting missionary work, congregational activities, and the early history of Morris County and the congregation.