Historical Associations and Local Museums


Ayres/Knuth Farm Foundation, Inc.

P.O. Box 304, Denville, NJ 07834
Telephone: 973.625.9345
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.ayresknuthfarm.org/
Ayers/Knuth Farm on Facebook

The Ayres/Knuth Farm Foundation, Inc. is a community–based organization located in Denville, New Jersey. The foundation engages in activities that focus on the protection and enhancement of the historical, agricultural, and environmental aspects of the Denville Township Ayers/Knuth Farm. To support these endeavors the foundation raises and directs funds and organizes volunteer efforts towards the preservation of the historical and environmental components of the multi–use open space facility.

Beavertown Historical Society

137 Main Street, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/lphistorical/

The Beavertown Historical Society encourages an awareness of the history of Beavertown and the role of the Morris Canal in the social and economic life of Lincoln Park. The society maintains a Museum and Library which includes an archive. The society meets the first Tuesday of the month from September till June. The museum is open the third Sunday of the month from 2–5 p.m. Special tours are available upon request.

Boonton Historical Society and Museum

John Taylor Building
210 Main Street, Boonton, NJ 07005
Telephone: 973.402.8840
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.boonton.org/268/Boonton-Historical-Society

The Boonton Historical Society and Museum was established in 1959 and administers projects and activities that preserve and protect the town of Boonton’s unique cultural, architectural, and industrial history.  The society has exhibits on display at the John Taylor Building and hosts educational programs, guided history tours, and exhibitions for the public. A calendar and list of program events are posted to their website. The museum is open on Sundays, 1–4 p.m. or by appointment.

Historical Society of Boonton Township

Oscar A. Kincaid Home of History
591 Powerville Road, Boonton Township, NJ
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 362, Boonton, NJ 07005
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.historicalsocietyofboontontownship.org

The Historical Society of Boonton Township promotes and facilitates the discovery, collection, and preservation of the township’s unique historical treasures including records, artifacts, historic sites, buildings, monuments, markers, and other materials. It emphasizes the importance of historic preservation and it encourages an interest in the heritage of the local community and the state of New Jersey. The society is actively engaged in the restoration of the Oscar A. Kincaid house on Powerville Road.

Bridget Smith House Museum

124 Randolph Avenue, Mine Hill, NJ 07803
Telephone: 973.659.9001

The Bridget Smith House, built in 1855, is now the last surviving structure representing working class housing from the era of iron mining in northern New Jersey. Displays interpret local history including the simple family life of Irish immigrants living in a small community. Exhibits also feature photos and artifacts relating to the iron mining industry. Mine Hill Township owns the museum, while volunteer members of the Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill coordinate restoration efforts, collections, and tours. The museum is open to the public during the first three Saturdays of each month from June through October, 1 to 4 P.M., with special tour arrangements available during the day or after school for youth groups and adult organizations. Admission is free. Donations are appreciated.

Butler Museum and Historical Committee

Butler Railroad Station
233 Main Street, Butler, NJ
Mail address: One Ace Road, Butler, NJ 07405
Office at the Butler Museum, Upper Main Street, Butler, NJ
Telephone 973.838.7222
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.butlermuseumnj.org

The Butler Museum and Historical Committee promotes interest in local history. The committee sponsors educational programs and provides advice to the borough’s governing body on matters relating to Butler’s rich historic past. It also operates the Butler Museum. This former 1888 New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad station contains exhibits on the social, political, spiritual, and business life of the community, with particular emphasis on the American Hard Rubber Company and its role in Butler’s economic growth. It also houses an archive. The museum is temporarily closed for construction and is scheduled to re–open in fall 2014. The committee meets at the museum at 7 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month.

Canal Society of New Jersey/Canal Museum

Canal Museum at Waterloo Village
P.O. Box 737, Morristown, NJ 07963
Telephone: 973.292.2755
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.canalsocietynj.org

The Canal Society of New Jersey is a non–profit organization dedicated to fostering the study of New Jersey canal history. It educates the public, preserves and restores canal remains and artifacts, and provides recreation for its members by conducting tours of canals and other historic sites. The Society administers the Canal Museum at Waterloo Village in Stanhope. The Society holds five meetings a year at the Cultural Center, 300 Mendham Road, Morris Township; they feature slide programs and films on canal–related topics. The Society supports events along the Delaware and Raritan Canal and the Morris Canal.

Chatham Borough Historical Society

P.O. Box 682, Chatham, NJ 07928
Telephone: 973.635.0603
Web: http://chathamnjhistoricalsociety.org/

The Chatham Borough Historical Society, founded in 1923, celebrates Chatham’s heritage by promoting interest in local history and encouraging the development of programs and publications focusing on matters relating to local history and preservation of the town’s historic character. The society also collects and preserves records and artifacts relating to the settlement and development of Chatham and makes these records available to the public.

Chatham Township Historical Society

Mailing address: P.O. Box 262, Chatham, NJ 07928
24 Southern Boulevard, Chatham Township
Telephone: 973.635.4911 or 973.635.7156
Web: www.chathamtownshiphistoricalsociety.org/
Chatham Township Historical Society on Facebook

The Historical Society of the Township of Chatham was established to increase knowledge, awareness and preservation of Township history.  It is open to anyone with an interest in local history.

Chester Historical Society, Inc.

P.O. Box 376, Chester, NJ 07930
Telephone: 908.879.2761
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.historicchesternj.com

The Chester Historical Society discovers, collects, and preserves any material that may help to establish or illustrate the history of the area. The Society also educates the public on matters relating to local history, and it periodically conducts tours through the Milltown/Black River Park area, Chester Furnace, Chester Village, and other locations. It presents Architectural Preservation Merit and Heritage Awards to the public, and it holds monthly program meetings open to the public and that feature talks on history–related topics. The Society also has a small archive with access to the public by appointment.

Daughters of the American Revolution, Morristown Chapter, Schulyer Hamilton House

5 Olyphant Place, Morristown, NJ 07960–4231
Telephone: 973.267.4039   973.539.7502.
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njmcdar
www.njdar.org/historic_properties/schuyler-hamilton.html

The DAR promotes history, education, and patriotism through its various programs and activities. It focuses on the Revolutionary War era to keep alive the history of the founding of this nation. Members are directly descended from people who either fought in the war and/or played a role in winning the war.
The DAR maintains the Schuyler Hamilton House. It also has a small archive. Meetings and activities are held at the house from September through May. The house is open Sunday afternoons from 2–4 p.m. Tours may be arranged by appointment.

Denville Historical Society and Museum

PO Box 466, Denville, NJ 079834
Located on Diamond Spring Road
Telephone: 973.625.1165

The Denville Historical Society & Museum is located on Diamond Spring Road next to the Denville Library. The Denville Museum features the “Garden of Thyme and Roses,” and a permanent exhibit on Denville’s history over three centuries. The museum also offers a significant research library, and several special collections including an extensive photograph collection.

The historical society provides tours of the one–room Union Schoolhouse, and walking tours of Denville by appointment only. Speakers and presentations on Denville’s History are also available on sufficient notice. The Denville Museum is open Saturdays, 10–2 p.m. and by appointment.

Dover Area Historical Society

Dr. Arthur Condict House/Church House
55 West Blackwell Street, Dover, NJ
Mailing address: P .O. Box 609, Dover, NJ 07802–0609
Telephone: 973.366.8266 or 973.366.0629
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.dovernjhistory.org/

The Dover Area Historical Society compiles and preserves illustrations, maps, and records relating to local history; the Society informs the public of its history and traditions. The society holds regular meetings and sponsors educational programs and field trips for all ages. A biannual newsletter, Ye Old Tye News is published in the spring and fall.

East Hanover Historical Society

P.O. Box 216, East Hanover, NJ 07936
Located at 174 Mount Pleasant Avenue, East Hanover
Telephone: 973.428.8200
Web: www.easthanoveronline.com/east_hanover_volunteer_organizations.htm
East Hanover Historical Society on Facebook

The East Hanover Historical Society maintains and preserves the historic Cook Halfway House (built in 1752) and the Marion Rowley Gardens. The House is open to the public at the Society’s annual fundraiser on the first Saturday of December. Meetings are held throughout the year.

The Historical Society of Florham Park

Little Red Schoolhouse
203 Ridgedale Avenue at Columbia Turnpike
Telephone: 973.377.3713
Web: http://www.florhamparkhistoricpreservationcommission.org/

The Historical Society of Florham Park was founded in 1935 to preserve the borough’s “Little Red Schoolhouse” and to gather and collect artifacts of local history. The schoolhouse museum features a permanent exhibit on the area’s farming community, and various changing exhibits. Artifacts from when the area was largely a farming village are on display along with agricultural tools, early kitchen implements, and broom–making machines. The museum’s collection reflects the 1866 building’s legacy as a one–room local school house.
The society meets at the Little Red Schoolhouse on Ridgedale Avenue. The museum is open the first Sunday of each month from October through December from 2–4 p.m. and by appointment.

Harding Township Historical Society

Tunis–Ellicks House and Museum
P.O. Box 1777, New Vernon, NJ 07976
Telephone: 973.292.3661
Web: http://www.hths.org/

The Harding Township Historical Society preserves materials relating to the history of Harding Township. The Society supports local preservation efforts and maintains its headquarters at the historic Tunis–Ellicks House. The John H. Culbertson Museum on the second floor features changing exhibits relating to local and regional history. An archive is maintained in a separate building.
The Harding Township Historical Society welcomes anyone whom is interested in the history of the town. The society has a variety of ongoing projects, such as the preservation and operation of the circa 1800 Tunis–Ellicks farmhouse located across from the New Vernon Post Office and the 19th century “tramp house” also on the Tunis–Ellicks property. The house and archives are open by appointment. Meetings are generally held on the third Thursday of each month (except July/August) at the Tunis–Ellicks House.

Jefferson Township Historical Society/Museum

George Chamberlain House
315 Dover–Milton Road, Oak Ridge, NJ 07438
Telephone: 973.697.0258
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.jthistoricalsociety.org/

The Jefferson Township Historical Society promotes public awareness of Jefferson Township’s history and culture. It has restored and refurnished a Victorian farmhouse/museum (circa 1860). The society sponsors special programs featuring guest speakers. It also maintains a local history archive and does research for specific genealogy information requests. This is a volunteer service conducted on a first come, first serve basis policy. Records are limited to the Township of Jefferson, Morris County, New Jersey. The fee is $10.00 per person researched.  The fee is nonrefundable even if no information is available. Please email the genealogist directly at [email protected]
The society meets the third Thursday of each month at 8 p.m. The museum is open the first Sunday of every month from 1–3 p.m.

Jewish Historical Society of Metrowest

901 Route 10 East, Whippany, NJ 07981–1156
Telephone: 973.929.2995 or 973.929.2994
Email: Lforgos[email protected]
Web: www.jhsmw.org

The Jewish Historical Society of MetroWest collects, preserves, and chronicles the rich legacy of the largest Jewish community in the state of New Jersey encompassing Morris, Essex, Sussex, and Warren Counties, along with part of Union County. The society maintains a substantial archive. It compiles oral histories, collects historical artifacts, organizes exhibitions, provides a speakers bureau and other outreach services, and publishes a newsletter and preservation brochure. The Society is open Mondays–Thursdays: 9–5 p.m. and Fridays: 9–4 p.m.

Researchers are strongly advised to call and make an appointment with the archivist before visiting.

Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum

Lock Tenders House at Hopatcong State Park
P.O. Box 668, Landing, NJ 07850
Telephone: 973.398.2616
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.lakehopatconghistory.com

The Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum offers an entertaining and enlightening look at the history of New Jersey’s largest lake. The Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum displays an extensive collection of memorabilia, photographs, historical artifacts, and exhibits about the lake and on the history and working of the Morris Canal.
Hours of operation change by season.  For updated information call or visit the web site.

Long Hill Township Historical Society

917 Valley Road, Gillette, NJ 07933
Telephone: 908.647.2111
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.longhillhistory.org

The Long Hill Township Historical Society was established in 1965 as the Passaic Township Historical Society.  The organization is dedicated to the preservation of the cultural and historical heritage of the community.

The Historical Society provides expertise and documentation to the Long Hill Township Historic Preservation Advisory Committee, an appointed branch of the local government which reports to the planning board, zoning board of adjustment, the township committee, or any division of local government which requires historic preservation input.
The society has a number of maps, books, photographs, audio tapes, and artifacts, many of which are currently housed in the Long Hill Library for review by interested community members. A list of the holdings is on file at the library.  The room at the library is open to the public most Wednesdays from 1–3 p.m. or by appointment.

Meetings are held at the Long Hill Township First Aid Squad building, 949 Valley Road, Gillette (between the town hall/library complex and the Valley Mall; park behind the first aid squad building away from the building, or in the town hall parking lot). Meetings and presentations start at 7:30 p.m. Meetings are free and open to the public.

Long Pond Ironworks Museum

The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks, Inc.
Visitor Center/Old Country Store Museum
P.O. Box 809, Hewitt, NJ 07421
Telephone: 973.657.1688
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.longpondironworks.org/museum.htm
Long Pond on Facebook

The Long Pond Ironworks Museum is open to the public Saturdays and Sundays between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. April through November. Organized groups and schools may arrange museum visits by appointment all year.

The museum is operated and staffed by volunteers. Inside the renovated Old Country Store are interpretive displays, artifacts and relics from the furnace area and ironworkers village. Photographs and artifacts help illustrate how the area looked and what life was like in this industrial complex.
The Visitor Center/Old Country Store is in Long Pond Ironworks State Park, located on Rt. 511 (Greenwood Lake Tpk.) in West Milford, NJ.

Madison Historical Society

P.O. Box 148, Madison, NJ 07940
Office: Local History Center, Madison Public Library
39 Keep Street, Madison, NJ
Telephone:  973.377.0722 ext. 8
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.madisonhistoricalsociety.org

The Madison Historical Society was founded in 1922. Public programming is offered by the society on local history and historic preservation topics. The society also maintains a small archive housed in the Local History Center at the Madison Public Library. Contact the society for information on meeting dates and times.

Preservation Society of Madison

P.O. Box 687, Madison, NJ 07940
Telephone: 973.593.8266
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.rosenet.org/nonprofits/preservation–society–of–madison

The Preservation Society of Madison promotes public awareness of significant architecture and artifacts in the community. It also preserves, collects, and distributes materials relating to Madison and surrounding areas. The society seeks to further research and education on historic architecture within Madison, NJ.

Mendham Borough Historical Society

The Phoenix House
2 West Main Street, Mendham, NJ 07945
Telephone:  973.543.6003
Email: [email protected]
Mendham Borough Historical Society on Facebook

The Mendham Borough Historical Society brings to life the history of the area by collecting archival documents, artifacts, and other materials illustrating Mendham’s cultural, social, and economic development. The Society also encourages the preservation of local historic sites.

In cooperation with Borough officials, the society provides for the preservation and accessibility of historical materials and works to encourage the preservation of historic sites, buildings, monuments, and markers.

Cooperating with historical architects, it assists owners seeking information on the historical restoration of their properties. Each year it presents awards, recognizing individuals and businesses that have made a special effort to preserve Mendham buildings. In addition, the society disseminates historical information by publishing documents, presenting talks, and marking historic sites.

The society meets the fourth Tuesday of each month (third Tuesday in November and December) at the Phoenix House at 7:30 p.m. and includes a presentation of historic interest.

Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill

Bridget Smith House Museum
124 Randolph Avenue, Mine Hill, NJ 07803
Telephone: 973.659.9001
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.ferromonte.org/
Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill on Facebook

The Bridget Smith House, built in 1855, is now the last surviving structure representing working class housing from the era of iron mining in northern New Jersey. Displays interpret local history including the simple family life of Irish immigrants living in a small community. Exhibits also feature photos and artifacts relating to the iron mining industry. Mine Hill Township owns the museum, while volunteer members of the Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill coordinate restoration efforts, collections, and tours.

The museum is open to the public during the first three Saturdays of each month from June through October, 1–4 p.m., Special tour arrangements available during the day or after school for youth groups and adult organizations. The society meets the fourth Tuesday each month at 7:45 p.m. at the Mine Hill Public Library, 10 Baker Street, Mine Hill, NJ 07803

Montville Historical Society & Museum

Box 519, Montville, NJ 07045
Telephone: 973.334.3665 or 973.394.0554
Web: montville-township.org/boards/historical.shtml

The Montville Historical Society maintains the Montville Museum at Taylortown Road and Route 202. The museum has a file of township homes over 100 years old. Also available to researchers are documents, records, maps, post cards, books, artifacts and costumes reflecting the town’s history.
Items on display in the museum feature artifacts from Montville’s past. The museum is open every Sunday from 1–4 p.m. or by appointment.  The society offers slide presentations on Montville history through out the year. Meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at the Montville Township Senior House, 356 Route 202. There are no meetings in July, August and December.

Morris Area Genealogy Society

P.O. Box 105
Convent Station, NJ 07961-0105
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njmags/

The Morris Area Genealogy Society provides assistance, and instruction for those interested in family history and genealogy. Beginners as well as more experienced genealogists profit from monthly lectures on topics relating to genealogy. The society publishes Morris Area Genealogy Society Newsletter quarterly. Meetings are held at the Morris County Library, 30 East Hanover Avenue, Whippany, NJ on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m.

Morris County Heritage Commission

P.O. Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963–0900
Office at Morris County Cultural Center
300 Mendham Road, Morris Township
Telephone: 973.829.8117
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.morrisheritage.net

The Morris County Heritage Commission (MCHC), an advisory body of the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, was formed in 1970 pursuant to the state law authorizing county cultural and heritage commissions. Morris is one of two counties in New Jersey with a commission dedicated to ensuring and preserving the county’s history.

Commissioners are appointed by the Board of Chosen Freeholders. The nine–member volunteer Commissioners work on their behalf with staff to encourage awareness and understanding of Morris County’s diverse history. The commission publishes a newsletter, The Heritage Review, twice per year, installs and maintains historic site markers, curates and hosts exhibits, offers public programming and is the steward of Morris County’s institutional archives. Materials stored in the archives are available to researchers by appointment. The commission also serves as a resource for history organizations, historic preservation groups, researchers and educators in Morris County.

Morris County Historical Society

Acorn Hall
68 Morris Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960–4212
Telephone 973.267.3465
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.acornhall.org  
Acorn Hall on Facebook

Acorn Hall, named for the three–centuries–old oak formerly standing on its property, is located in historic Morristown, NJ. Built in 1853, and remodeled in the Italianate Villa style in 1860, it was home to the Schermerhorn family and, later, the Crane–Hone families before becoming the headquarters of the Morris County Historical Society in 1971.

The Morris County Historical Society, founded in 1945, is dedicated to encouraging understanding of Morris County’s History and the State of New Jersey. Programs include a spring and fall lecture series, children’s workshops, and exhibits. Membership events are held annually. The society is home to the ‘Learned T. “Dag” Bulman’ Victorian research library and archives, and well as an extensive costume and textile collection. The Gardens are maintained by the Home Garden Club of Morristown and feature flowers and shrubs typical of nineteenth century landscapes.

Hours: Wednesday and Thursday 11–4 p.m. and Sunday 1–4 p.m., closed on major holidays. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission: $6.00 adults, $5.00 seniors, $3.00 students, members and children under 12 free.

Morris County Tourism Bureau

6 Court Street, Morristown, NJ 07960
Telephone:973.631.5151
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.morristourism.org
Morris County Tourism Bureau on Facebook

The Morris County Tourism Bureau is a Destination Marketing Organization that positively affects the economy of Morris County by promoting the area’s exceptional historic, cultural and recreational opportunities by providing services to residents, business travelers and tourists. Personal assistance to the public includes a calendar of events, tour services, and wedding/relocation packages. The Bureau is open Monday through Friday from 9:30–4:30 p.m.

Morris County Trust For Historic Preservation

14 Oak Street, Morristown, NJ 07960
Telephone: 973.267.4717
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.mcthp.org

The Morris County Trust for Historic Preservation (the Trust) is a service organization for the New Jersey historic preservation community. Founded in 1978, it provides assistance to the stewards of New Jersey’s historic and cultural resources in the county. The trust encourages the preservation of historic buildings and sites by providing information on architectural heritage and its legal protection. It also publishes a newsletter that updates preservation activities within the County and advises people on crucial issues related to preservation at the local, state, and national levels. The trust sponsors annual meetings, lectures, tours, and workshops. Its reference library is available to researchers by appointment and is available seven days a week, from 10–9 p.m. by telephone and email.

Morris Plains Museum Association

51 Jim Fear Drive, Morris Plains, NJ 07950
Telephone: 973.683.1089
Email: [email protected]
Web: https://morrisplainsmuseum.org/

The Morris Plains Museum’s mission is to connect the past to the present and make Morris Plain’s vibrant history tangible, relevant, and meaningful for today’s community and for generations to come.
The Morris Plains Museum Association was founded in 1974. The Association is a non–profit organization dedicated to the collection, storage, preservation, and display of items relative to the history of the Borough of Morris Plains.

The collection is home to Homer Davenport’s caricatures, Monahan’s Band instruments, photographs, maps, costumes, and artwork. The museum volunteers offer guided tours and educational programs. The Museum is open Saturdays from 10–2 p.m. or by appointment.

Mount Arlington Historical Society

P.O. Box 146, Mt. Arlington, NJ 07856
Web: https://sites.google.com/site/mapshistoricalsocietyproject/home

The Mount Arlington Historical Society collects and preserves historic data, artifacts, and photographs relating to the history of Mt. Arlington and Lake Hopatcong. Its many activities include historic site tours and numerous special programs. The society has published a history of Mount Arlington and compiled oral histories.

Mount Hope Historical Conservancy, Inc.

P.O. Box 625, Wharton, NJ 07885
627 Mount Hope Road, Wharton
Telephone: 973.361.4231

The Mount Hope Historical Conservancy, Inc., is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of historic sites, artifacts, archives, and landscapes related to the Mount Hope Mines and to the management of open space areas on the site. The conservancy plans to develop a Museum of Mount Hope.

Mount Olive Township Historical Society

204 Flanders–Drakestown Road, Budd Lake, NJ 07828
Telephone: 862.432.0460
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.mtolivehistory.com

The Mount Olive Township Historical Society discovers, collects, and preserves artifacts of Mount Olive’s history. It communicates and promotes that history through programs, publications, and exhibits.

Meetings are held the 1st Monday of each month at the Mt. Olive Township Senior Center, 204 Flanders Drakestown Road, Budd Lake, NJ, 7 p.m. The Society does not meet during the months of July and August.

Mount Tabor Historical Society

P.O. Box 271, Mt. Tabor, NJ 07878
32 Trinity Place, Mount Tabor
Telephone: 973.586.1564
Email [email protected]
Web: www.mounttabornj.org

The Mount Tabor Historical Society promotes community awareness of local history, stressing the importance of preserving and restoring buildings that reflect Mt. Tabor’s Victorian Heritage.
The Society conducts tours to historic buildings and landmarks, and hosts social gatherings sometimes featuring guest speakers. Over the years a growing collection of historic documents, photographs, postcards and memorabilia has developed.

The Mount Tabor Historical Society is privileged to share its historic community founded as a post–Civil War permanent Camp Meeting ground, as well as the Richardson History House – a Camp Meeting Cottage Museum. The 1873 History House invites visitors to travel back to another era and see what it was like to spend a summer “camp meeting style” in the cottage of J. Smith and Lydia Richardson.
The museum is open the second Sunday of each month from 12–4 p.m. or by appointment.

Musconetcong Foundrymen Historical Society

P.O. Box 104, Netcong, NJ 07857
Telephone: 973.347.3728 or 973.691.7448
Musconetcong Foundrymen Historical Society on Facebook

The Musconetcong Foundrymen Historical Society promotes an awareness of the history of Netcong and Port Morris in Morris County and Stanhope in Sussex County, with a particular emphasis on the local iron industry and the Morris Canal.

The Society publishes tour guides for the historic downtowns of Netcong and Stanhope, and it conducts periodic walking tours of downtown areas and Morris Canal sites. It also encourages document preservation, and it has an archives open to researchers.

The society played a major role in having a local newspaper, The Stanhope Eagle, microfilmed. It normally holds its meetings in the afternoon on the last Sunday of the month, at the lower level of the Stanhope United Methodist Church, Route 183, Netcong.

Historical Society of Old Randolph

Brundage House
P.O. Box 1776, Ironia, NJ 07845
Telephone: 973.989.7095
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.randolphnj.org

Formed in 1979, the Historical Society of Old Randolph (HSOR) is a non–profit organization created to promote and preserve the unique heritage of Randolph Township. It meets each month to plan activities, discuss projects, and share stories about Randolph’s past.

Along with the township’s Landmarks Committee, the HSOR oversees the Randolph Museum, formerly known as the Museum of Old Randolph. Artifacts from life in and around Randolph are exhibited in displays that include an old–fashioned schoolroom, home life, local industry, farming, and the Mt. Freedom resort industry. Visitors can gain insight into the industries that brought the area from colonial times to the present.

Parsippany Historical & Preservation Society

Stephen H. Condict House
P.O. Box 6266, Parsippany, NJ 07054
Telephone: 973.887.6848 or 973.887.2089

Founded in 1986, the Parsippany Historical & Preservation Society promotes interest in historical preservation by informing the public of the historical significance of local sites. The Society plays an influential role in designating and preserving individual sites throughout the municipality. The society presents programs and exhibits several times throughout the year. It also maintains an archival collection of documents.

Meetings are held at the Stephen H. Condict House, 41 North Beverwyck Road, on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. excluding July and August.

Ralston Historical Association and Museum

313 Mendham Road West (Rt. 510) at Roxiticus Road, Mendham, NJ 07945
Telephone: 973.543.6878
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://ralstonmuseum.org

The Ralston Historical Association maintains and operates the Ralston Historical Museum in the Ralstonville Historical District. The museum is open Sundays 2–5 p.m. from June through October. The museum is a restored and restocked general store in a part of Mendham where businessman John Ralston once owned several thousand acres of property. Here he encouraged the establishment of forges, wagon works, fulling mills, and other water–powered industries. In so doing he helped make Mendham into a prosperous industrial center. The association holds an annual meeting in June. Its archival collection is available to researchers.

Friends Meeting House & Cemetery Association of Randolph Township

190 Quaker Church Road, Randolph, NJ 07869
Telephone: 973.361.9427
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://randolphmeetinghouse.org/

The Friends Meeting House and Cemetery Association of Randolph Township is an independent preservation organization that owns and preserves the colonial Friends Meeting House and Quaker Cemetery in Randolph NJ.

The Dover–Randolph Friends still use the Meeting House and Annex for worship and fellowship activities. Local groups also meet there. The House is the oldest standing church in Morris County.
It is open to the public from 12–1 p.m. Sunday, and by request. The association frequently conducts tours of the House for school groups and senior citizens. It also sponsors preservation outreach programs. The association holds meetings twice a year.

Historical Society of Rockaway Township

Box 100, Hibernia, NJ 07842
Telephone: 973.983.2841
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.rockawaytownship.org/163/Historical-Society
Historical Society of Rockaway Township on Facebook

The Historical Society of the Rockaways promotes community awareness of Rockaway’s role in our nation’s industrial development by distributing historical information to educational and public institutions, and by promoting community service projects beneficial to all citizens.

The society has taken the lead in preserving the house of iron works owner John Jacob Faesch; it has expanded its preservation efforts to include the entire surrounding mining area. It also maintains a small archive with genealogical files on Old Rockaway Township families. The society meets the first Monday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Rockaway Township Library.

Roebling Chapter, Society for Industrial Archaeology

19 Budd Street, Morristown, NJ 07960
Telephone: 973.292.2755
Email: [email protected]

The Roebling Chapter, Society for Industrial Archaeology, promotes the study of artifacts relating to the technological and industrial past of Morris County and the surrounding region. The society holds an annual symposium at Drew University in the fall, and it sponsors ad hoc field trips to the sites of working and defunct industries.

Roxbury Historic Trust, Inc.

209 Main Street, Ledgewood, NJ 07852; Tel (973) 927-7603
King House
209 Main Street, Ledgewood, NJ 07852
Telephone: 973.927.7603
Web: www.roxburynewjersey.com/trust.htm
Email: [email protected]
Roxbury Historic Trust on Facebook

Roxbury Historic Trust was incorporated in 2000 to operate, rehabilitate and develop the King Store and King House Museums in Drakesville Historic Park. This is an important location near Planes 2 and 3 East on the Morris Canal Greenway with contributing buildings to the Ledgewood Historic District, which is listed on the NJ State and National registers of Historic Places.  The Trust has a small archival collection and publishes the Drakesville Times newsletter twice a year.  It welcomes visitors and groups by appointment: the site is open to the public from 1–4 p.m. on the second Sunday of months April-December. Special events are Celebrate Preservation on the third Sunday in May, Living History Day in October, and the first Friday evening in December.

Roxbury Township Historical Society

Silas Riggs House
P.O. Box 18, Succasunna, NJ 07876
Telephone: 973. 584.6931
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.roxburynewjersey.com/
Roxbury Township Historical Society on Facebook

The Roxbury Township Historical Society was organized to research, preserve, and promote the township’s history. It also owns and maintains the East Jersey Cottage style Silas Riggs House as a living history museum representative of the crafts, skills, and living habits of colonial times. The society has published three volumes of the township’s history written by members, which are available as a set or individually. The Society also has a small archival collection. General meetings are held in the house, and a variety of events are scheduled throughout the year. A Calendar of Events is available. The House is open for second Sundays per the calendar, Celebrate Preservation on the third Sunday in May, Living History Day in October and for the Soup Supper on the first Friday evening in December. Call for further information.

Washington Association of New Jersey

P.O. Box 1473, Morristown, NJ 07962
Telephone: 973.292.1874
Web: http://www.wanj.org/
Washington Association of New Jersey on Facebook

The Washington Association of New Jersey was established in 1873 to save the Ford Mansion (Washington’s headquarters during 1777 and 1779–80) from destruction. The organization was chartered by an act of the New Jersey State Legislature in 1874. In 1933 the association donated Ford Mansion to the National Park Service, making it the first National Historical Park in the country. Today, by statute, the association is the official consultant to Morristown National Historical Park. The association supports the park by purchasing rare books, manuscripts, and historic artifacts. It funds special projects and exhibits including the permanent display, War Comes to Morristown: The Impact of the Revolutionary War Upon a Small Village, 1775–1783. Association events include a biannual symposium, the Martha Washington reception held in the fall, and an annual meeting on President’s Day featuring a scholarly presentation.

Washington Township Historical Society/Museum

6 Fairview Avenue
P.O. Box 189, Long Valley, NJ 07853
Telephone: 908.876.9696
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.wthsnj.org/

The Washington Township Historical Society hosts public programs, maintains a museum featuring exhibits of local historical and archaeological artifacts, antique tools, and collectibles. It also has an archival collection.

The museum is open on Sundays, 2–4 p.m. or by appointment and meets on the third Tuesday of the month from September through June.

Washington Township Land Trust

P.O. Box 4, Long Valley, NJ 07853
Telephone: 908.876.5986 / tours 908.876.4478
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://wtlt.org
The Washington Township Land Trust protects and preserves the ecological, cultural, and historical integrity of the areas that contribute to and enhance the rural character of Washington Township and its environs. The Land Trust provides education to the public on various preservation issues such as conservation easements and other topics of value. The Land Trust also works with other land trusts, open space groups, and conservation organizations to provide an organized approach to meet our common goals.

The trust has restored the circa 1750 Obadiah LaTourette Grist and Saw Mill on East Mill, Long Valley, with the aid of donations, grants, and volunteer labor. Mill Tours are given most Saturdays from 10–2 p.m., and by appointment.

The trust meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.  Additional meeting and event dates/times are posted on the Trust’s website.

Washington Valley Community Association

Washington Valley Rd & School House Lane, Morristown NJ 07960
Telephone: 973.538.6355

The WVCA is responsible for preserving and maintaining the historic district. Since 1926 the association has also maintained the historic Washington Valley School House–the main focal point of the picturesque Washington Valley Historic District of Morris Township.

The association hosts many activities at the schoolhouse, including a pancake breakfast, a Christmas and Halloween party for children, fall and spring cleanup, and a Christmas tea.

Wharton Historical Society

Wharton Public Library
15 South Main Street, Wharton, NJ 07885
Telephone: 973.361.1545/ 973.361.1333
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.whartonlibrary.org/history.html

The Wharton Historical Society preserves Wharton’s link with the past by promoting greater awareness of history through presentations at monthly meetings on themes relating to local railroads, the iron industry, the Morris Canal, historic homes, the Lenape Indians, and other subjects. The Society also features special exhibits at the Wharton Public Library and at annual “Canal Day” fair.

The Wharton Historical Society meets in the Library’s Community Room
the second Thursday of every month (except July & August) at 7:30 p.m. Meetings are open to the public.